Wooden church of Troaș

The church dedicated to “Sfinții Trei Ierarhi” in Troaș, Săvârșin commune, Arad county, is the oldest wooden religious building in the Mures Valley.


It was originally built on the place called Buza Cărunții, at the entrance to the village, in 1770, and around 1875 it was moved to the middle of the village, on Dâmbul Crucii, where it is still located today.


The painting dates back to 1812 and the painter was Nicolae from Lupșa Mare. From the pictorial layer only the faces of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel (on the deacon’s doors); Saints Peter and Paul (on the king’s doors); the Saviour with the open Gospel, the Mother of God with the Child, the prophets of the Old Testament (on the iconostasis) remain; Saint Martyrs Foca, Stratilat, Lup, Tiron, Joseph, Nicodemus, the Entombment, the Myrrhbearers, the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (on the north wall of the nave); Saint George (on the south side); the figures of Luke, Abel, Cain and John, the torments of Jesus (on the nave vault); Jesus at the Last Judgement, surrounded by Saints Hristophoros, Tob, Loitie, Gerasim and a cherubim (on the west side); and the Holy Virgin Martyr Syria (on the east side).


The church is on the list of historical monuments with code AR-II-m-A-00655.