The building of the National Museum of the Romanian Peasant is located in Victoriei Square in Bucharest, next to the Museum of Natural Sciences “Grigore Antipa” and the Museum of Geology. The architect appointed to draw up the project and direct the works was N. Ghika-Budești, a brilliant representative of the local school of architecture who, according to the museological choice of the ethnographer and director Alexandru Tzigara-Samurcaș, was to build “a palace of local art”, arranged in the form of monastic-type enclosures.
After 29 years, after endless interruptions, it was completed in 1941, taking on the appearance of the current architectural monument, the headquarters of the Romanian Peasant Museum.
An illustration of the neo-Romanian style inspired by the traditional architectural background, particularly the Brancovenesque one, the work is notable for the expressiveness of the overall composition, complemented by the considered use of floral and zoomorphic decorative elements. The apparent red brickwork, the large windows grouped under arches, the columns of the loggia, the balustrade, the openwork elements, the elegant silhouette of the central tower with the image of the belfry reminiscent of the bell towers of old monasteries, etc. give the building the measured sumptuousness of a true palace of art.
In the 1960s, a central office block and adjoining rooms were added to the building, built, however, in total disregard of the basic stylistic data of N. Ghika-Budești’s design. The new building, located on the side behind the monumental edifice, is also characterised by a large-scale mosaic, designed in the spirit of the quasi-proletarian period of communist totalitarianism.